This consignment ca. 1830 Arienti large 5/8 flatback bass is owned and was played professionally all over northern Italy. It was restored about 15 years ago in Milan by a luthier who has studied the basses of this maker and it took nearly 2 years to complete. Though made of comparatively humble materials, this master built instrument is a wonderful melody or chamber orchestra instrument. The top is 4-piece slab cut pine, the sides are willow, and the back is of per wood. The scroll and pegbox date from about 1840 and the scroll graft to the flame maple neck was performed at the time of the major restoration. The three original tuning machine are in their original positions and the added E tuner from a similar period was added in a position near the nut. Ebony fittings, German maple bridge, Czech made 10 mm steel rod adjustable endpin.
Top length 41 1/4″ (104.8 cm), Upper bout width 18 3/8″ (46.7 cm), Middle bout width 13 1/4″ (33.7 cm), Lower bout width 24 1/2″ (62.2 cm), Depth at tail 9″ (22.9 cm), Depth at upper bout corner 8 3/8″ (21.3 cm), Depth at neck 6 1/2″ (16.5 cm), String length 40″ (101.6 cm).
This double bass speaks quickly and has a broad, rich voice with the current stringing of Pirastro Olive G and D, and Pirastro Evah Pirazzi weich A and E. A brighter more singing melodic voice has been achieved with a preious stringing of Thomastik Bel Canto strings. The consigning owner preferred a full set of Pirastro Obligato for his melody and duet concert work. A very fine performance and recording instrument. With cover.