This ca. 1940s German 3/4 carved back bass was most likely built a few years after the end of WWII. The oldest repair label dates from 1952. At some point a scroll graft was performed, which converted the neck to a D configuration and shortened the string length to 40 3/8″. This bass has successfully been used for many years in a chamber orchestra setting for some decades. It could also be used as a jazz instrument. The spruce top has narrow width grain at the center and wider grain width from the F-holes out to then edges. The maple sidesmand back show a combination of ribbon figure and mild flame figure. The halfplate tuning machines appear to be original to this instrument. The ebony fingerboard has the Romberg bevel for the E string. The endpin is a graphite unit from New Harmony. The tail wire is secured to a separate end plug, like a Roth. DIMENSIONS are: Top length 41 3/4″, Upper bout width 19 3/8″, Middle bout width 14 1/2″, Lower bout width 26 1/4″, Rib depth at tail 7 1/4″, Rib depth at upper bout crease 7 1/4″, Rib depth at neck joint 6 1/2″, String length 40 3/8. Shown in the photos with Spirocore orchestra gauge strings, Pirastro Evah Pirazzi, Pirastro Flexocore 92, and Pirastro Permanent strings mall work well in a chamber orchestra setting. This bass responds quickly and rewards with a rich and colorful voice. With light duty cover.